Sunday, July 10, 2016

This morning, I decided to take it easier in that I was not going to go to a presentation that involved a lot of thinking.  I did go to a presentation on a people-oriented Ujima Boston project in Massachusetts.  The organization is another example of people power when resources (money and human) are applied to address shortages within their community.  Some of the community needs being addressed include physical wellness, emotional wellness promoted by the arts and humanities, and passing on of skills.


All of the presenters are people under the age of 40 - and mostly women.  It’s very interesting to me to hear not only from these presenters but also other presenters during this weekend acknowledging and honoring the role of elders in their community.  I believe that this respect of elders represents a positive move within any self-help group activities.  Growing up through the ‘60’s, we certainly were not taught to honor our elders and certainly not depend on them for their guidance.  At least for me this was true.

No comments:

Post a Comment